UCL 2022-23: Ajax vs Rangers prediction and betting tips (September 7)
Ajax have a streak of five matches without losses with four victories, whereas Rangers have won six of the last nine matches. Who will win this one?
Steven Berghuis scored one out of two goals and helped to score the second one in the last match.
Steven Berghuis scored one out of two goals and helped to score the second one in the last match.

The Ajax vs Rangers fixture in the 2022-23 Champions League will take place on Wednesday, 7 September 2022, starting at 4:45 p.m. GMT. The venue is Johan Cruyff Arena, Amsterdam.

Latest odds on betting sites

Ajax are priced with the odds of 1.50 (-200 American; 1/2 Fractional) to win, which equals an approximate probability of 65%. Rangers come with the odds of 6.40 (+540; 27/5) to take Ajax down. The chances of this outcome are close to 15%. The draw is priced with the odds of 4.75 (+375; 15/4), which equals an approximate probability of 20%.

The latest odds for Ajax vs Rangers (September 7):

  • Over 2.5 goals — 1.65 (-154; 13/20)
  • Under 2.5 goals — 2.40 (+140; 7/5)
  • Asian handicap (+1.5) goals on Ajax— 1.65 (-154; 13/20)
  • Asian handicap (-1.5) goals on Rangers — 2.40 (+140; 7/5)
  • Both teams to score (Yes) — 1.70 (-143; 7/10)
  • Both teams to score (No) — 2.10 (+110; 11/10)

Match preview and statistics

Ajax won over Utrecht (2-0) in the Round 4 of the 2022-23 Eredivisie.

They played confidently in the first half. Ajax attacked 44 times and made six shots with two on target. They controlled the ball 63% of the time and completed nine defensive actions. In the 10th minute, Steven Berghuis scored the first goal to open the score. Besides, he helped Brian Brobbey to score the second goal.

In the second half, Ajax controlled the ball 49% of the time and attacked 22 times. They made four shots with two on target, but did not score a goal. Utrecht made only two shots which were not on target and they did not score their goal too.

Ajax have played well in the 20222-23 season. They have scored 12 goals in four matches of the 2022-23 Eredivisie and have made 43 shots with 22 on target. Alfred Schreuder's men have completed approximately 20 defensive actions per match and have created 47 chances in penalty areas.

Ajax team news: Owen Wijndal — muscle injury, Kenneth Taylor — muscle injury.

Ajax have scored 22 goals in the last eight matches. They are priced with the odds of 2.60 (+160; 8/5) to score three goals in this fixture.

Rangers were defeated by Celtic (0-4) in the last match.

In the first half, Rangers played badly. They controlled the ball 56% of the time and made six shots with one on target, whereas Celtic made nine shots with four on target. In the eighth minute, Liel Abada opened the score. Matthew O'Riley helped Jota and Liel Abada scored two more goals.

Celtic played much better than their rivals in the second half too. Rangers attacked 19 times and controlled the ball 54% of the time. They made five shots with one on target and did not score a goal. Celtic made six shots with two on target and bagged one goal. In the 78th minute, David Turnbull scored the last goal.

Rangers have played six matches in the 2022-23 Premiership. They have made 84 shots with 35 on target and have finished 14 of them successfully. Rangers have created 83 chances in penalty areas, but have completed only 102 defensive actions.

Rangers team news: Ianis Hagi — knee ligament.

A total of over 2.5 goals has played out in seven of the last eight matches with Rangers participating. The same total comes with the odds of 1.65 (-154; 13/20) in this fixture.

Lineups and key players

Ajax projected starting lineup:

  • Jay Gorter
  • Jurrien Timber
  • Calvin Bassey
  • Ahmetcan Kaplan
  • Lisandro Magallan
  • Edson Alvarez
  • Davy Klaassen
  • Steven Berghuis
  • Lucas Ocampos
  • Francisco Conceicao
  • Brian Brobbey

Steven Berghuis scored one out of two goals and helped to score the second one in the last match. He has scored two goals and has made an assist in the 2022-23 season.

Rangers projected starting lineup:

  • Allan McGregor
  • Connor Goldson
  • Filip Helander
  • Ridvan Yilmaz
  • James Tavernier
  • James Sands
  • John Lundstram
  • Glen Kamara
  • Ryan Kent
  • Rabbi Matondo
  • Antonio Colak

Antonio Colak has scored eight goals in the last nine matches. He is the fifth best scorer in the 2022-23 Eredivisie with four goals.

Prediction and betting tips

Ajax have won all H2H matches against Rangers, but all these matches were played more than 25 years ago. Also, Ajax have won the last four matches and have scored 12 goals in these fixtures. In the last fixture, they played much better than Utrecht.

In the last fixture against Celtic, Rangers were absolutely defeated. They did not finish any of their shots on target successfully. In the 2022-23 Champions League Qualifications, they played confidently. Rangers defeated PSV and scored three goals in two matches against them. Both teams are approximately equal at the moment and both will be able to score in this match.

Betting prediction: Both teams to score

Odds: 1.70 (-143 American; 7/10 Fractional)

FootballUEFA Champions League. Group Stage. Round 1
Ajax — Rangers
Both teams to score
Post your tip!
Win cash in the Takebet free tipster competition every month. Learn more
Join community: sign up to comment or log in!

No one has commented yet.
Share your thoughts!