Euro 2020: France vs Switzerland prediction and betting tips (June 28)
Group F winners France face one of the best third-placed teams as Switzerland take on a tough test in the Round of 16 in Bucharest on Monday.
Kylian Mbappe
Kylian Mbappe
by Alex Weaver Alex Weaver

France national football team will start its way through the playoffs at Euro 2020 with a duel against Switzerland in the Round of 16. The match will take place on 28 June 2021 at the National Stadium in Bucharest, Romania.

International betting sites are adamant about the chances of Les Bleus to land a victory in this one: odds of 1.66 (-152 American) are given on them to win in full-time, which equals to approximate probability of 58%. Switzerland is priced at 6.50 (+550), while a draw goes with 3.70 (+270). The chances of these outcomes are 15% and 27% respectively.

Qualification odds are as follows: France — 1.26 (-385 American), Switzerland — 4.12 (+312). So the chances to get into the quarterfinals are 77% to 23% in favor of the French.

Match preview

The reigning World Champions started the 2020 UEFA European Championship as the favourites, but two scratchy draws against Hungary and Portugal after a convincing 1-0 win against Germany have levelled off the field between other teams and Didier Deschamps’ men.

Many pundits would argue that Les Bleus were heading the 'Group of Death' against the defending champions Portugal, 2014 FIFA World Cup winner Germany, and Hungary. The heartbreak of Euro 2016 is the perfect set-up for the French side to go one better in this year's edition

The Swiss contingent started with a stringent 1-1 draw against Wales followed by a 3-0 drubbing at the hands of quarter-finalists Italy. Liverpool's Xherdhan Shaqiri powered his nation to the 'Round of 16' stage with two fantastic goals in a 3-1 win over Turkey.

France has a good record against Switzerland in the Euros as they have won two of the four meetings between the two sides, drawing the other two. Although, four of the last five meetings between them have finished with a draw, including the Euro 2016 group stage encounter.

Latest team news

Most of the French squad is available for their last-16 tie, except Barcelona forward Ousmane Dembele, who has been ruled out of the tournament with a knee injury. With the defensive trio of Presnel Kimpembe, Benjamin Pavard, and Lucas Hernandez on a yellow card each, we could see some shuffles in Deschamps' defence.

The quartet of skipper Granit Xhaka, key forward Breel Embolo, central defender Fabian Schar, and the pacey Kevin Mbabu picked up a single booking each in the group stage and will be walking a tight-rope in Bucharest.

Lineups and key players

Karim Benzema scored a brace against Portugal and would be looking to maintain his good run of form against Vladimir Petkovic's team in Bucharest.

France is heavily reliant on Manchester United midfielder Paul Pogba to be the brain of the team in the middle of the park and create chances for the forwards to aid them in doing their job further up the field.

Xherdan Shaqiri is arguably the most crucial cog in the Swiss attacking engine and would be expected to come good once again for his country on Monday. The 29-year-old attacking midfielder proved to be a menace for the Turkey defence in the last group game, but a far tougher challenge awaits Shaqiri in the form of Raphael Varane and Kimpembe.

Steven Zuber was a revelation at left wing-back against Turkey as he supplied assists for all three Swiss goals and came good when it required the most during the tournament.

Betting tips

France has only conceded a single goal from open play in 270 minutes of group stage matches, and the French defence is expected to stand strong against Switzerland.

However, Switzerland can pull off an upset any day, even if it has to come at the cost of the 'Mighty' French team. Shaqiri, Xhaka, Embolo, and Haris Seferovic is a quartet that can scare off many defences in the world, and Varane and co. are in for a tough challenge on Monday.

France to win to nil — no with odds of 1.61 (-164 American)

The attacking prowess of Benzema, Griezmann and the goalless Kylian Mbappe is more than capable of doing the job at hand as well.

Mbappe to score his 1st Euro 2020 goal with odds of 2.40 (+140 American)

FootballUEFA Euro 2020. Round of 16
France — Switzerland
France to win to nil — no
Post your tip!
Win cash in the Takebet free tipster competition every month. Learn more
Join community: sign up to comment or log in!

No one has commented yet.
Share your thoughts!