Euro 2020: Switzerland vs Spain prediction and betting tips (July 2)
After a proper grand entrance to Euro 2020 quarter-finals, Switzerland is ready to meet Spanish squad, who keeps being one of the favorites.
Xherdan Shaqiri at Euro 2020
Xherdan Shaqiri at Euro 2020
by Alex Weaver Alex Weaver

La Nati continues its difficult road to the dream of winning Euro 2020 and is ready to show a fantastic play in the quarter-finals against Spain. The first game of the round will take place at the Gazprom Arena in St. Petersburg, Russia on 2 July 2021. The winning team is set to meet either Belgium or Italy, the powerhouses competing in the next game of the matchday.

International betting sites are sure that Spain will continue to eliminate its playoff rivals and will win the match. The odds are 1.71 (-141 American), whereas a wager on Schweizer to create one more sensation is priced with the odds of 5.40 (+440 American). These odds equal 58.5% and 18.5% chances, respectively. Draw goes with 3.88 (+288 American) which is identical with probability of 23%.

Switzerland to qualify for the next stage goes with 3.38 (+238 American), while Spain — with 1.32 (-313 American). The chances of these outcomes are 25% and 75%, respectively.

Match preview

Squadra Nazionale started the group stage with a draw against Wales (1-1). Vladimir Petković's men had been trumped by Italy in the second match. Rossocrociati swept The Crescent-Stars (3-1) to qualify for the playoffs stage, where the team made an incredible comeback from losing 1-3 against France to win after a series of penalty kicks (5-4).

Switzerland caught a red card in the previous game against Spain, but finished it in a draw (1-1). Red Crosses got 10 yellow cards in the last 6 matches against Spain and played the last 4 matches with a total under 2.5 each time. This bet in the match against Spain goes with the oods of 1.92 (-109 American)

Spain started its group with two dismaying draws against Sweden and Poland with scores of 0-0 and 1-1, respectively. In the last match La Roja destroyed Slovakia (5-0) and finished the group stage second. First playoff match was unpredictable. Croatia pulled off a comeback in 90 minutes after losing 1-3, but extra time and skills of Spanish forwards put an end to it.

The Red Fury is undefeated in 14 matches in a row. There are many young talents in its team with an average age of 26.6. In the last 4 matches Luis Enrique's squad made 5 or more shots on target, 29 in total. That's the highest number of shots on target at Euro 2020.

Latest team news and lineups

Rossocrociati's captain Granit Xhaka will skip the match due to the second yellow card in the previous match against France. Everyone in Spain national team is ready to start the next match, but there is no confidence in Jose Luis Gaya who has a muscle injury.

La Nati's coach Vladimir Petkovic said that they have reacted to all the losses, but a comeback in the Round of 16 made them sure in their individual prowess and teamplay. He stressed that the team is preparing vigorously, but players need to recover.

Luis Enrique, in turn, said that La Roja is not a squad of one player. Alvaro Morata gives the squad an edge in attacks, but every player does his job at the highest level. He mentioned that the team awaits a difficult game in the quarter-finals, but will be ready for Rossocrociati.

Probable Switzerland lineup: Yann Sommer, Manuel Akanji, Nico Elvedi, Ricardo Rodríguez, Silvan Widmer, Denis Zakaria, Remo Freuler, Steven Zuber, Xherdan Shaqiri, Breel Embolo, Haris Seferovic.

Probable Spain lineup: Unai Simón, Eric García, Aymeric Laporte, Jordi Alba, César Azpilicueta, Sergio Busquets, Koke, Pedri, Ferran Torres, Pablo Sarabia, Álvaro Morata.

Key players

Haris Seferovic has shone in 96 minutes against France national team and bagged two goals. 29-years-old attacker scored 3 times in 301 minutes at Euro 2020 in total.

Xherdan Shaqiri, Liverpool's midfielder, has pushed 2 goals in a net and completed 2 assists in 290 minutes at Euro 2020. He scored a brace against Turkey and let his team get into the playoffs. Midfielder has no card, injury and must be in the starting XI against Spain.

Alvaro Morata, a player who was mentioned by his coach after the fixture against Croatia, has helped his team to win over their rival in an overtime. The attacker scored twice in 339 minutes at Euro 2020.

Pablo Sarabia has scored in two last matches in a row. In 207 minutes at Euro he has 2 goals and an assist, which is promising and makes him extra valuable for his side.

Betting tips

After matches of these teams in the Round of 16, this fixture looks unpredictable. There is one outcome which is easy to expect. Both teams scored 1 or more goals in 4 of the last 5 matches. In the last game between Rossocrociati and The Red Fury both of them scored.

Odds of around 2.00 on this happening again are clearly worth taking.

Both team to score — Yes with the odds of 1.92 (-109 American)

FootballUEFA Euro 2020. Quarter-final
Switzerland — Spain
Both team to score — Yes
Post your tip!
Win cash in the Takebet free tipster competition every month. Learn more
Join community: sign up to comment or log in!

No one has commented yet.
Share your thoughts!